DCompute development

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 5 02:41:40 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Now that I've (finally) finished my honours thesis, I've got time
to start working on dcompute again. I'd like to invite anyone
interested in helping to develop and/or document (or just
interested in general) the drivers for OpenCL/CUDA, the device
standard library and other stuff. Please post here or on the MIR
gitter (https://gitter.im/libmir/public) if you would like to
contribute.

Misc stuff that needs doing:
* Derelict packages for recent OpenCL/CUDA.
derelict-cl currently supports up to 1.2 (latest is 2.1/2.2
released May),
derelict-cuda currently supports 6.5 (latest is 8.0 released
September 2016)

* LDC/LLVM releases that support SPIR-V. I've got OSX covered,
Windows/Linux would be nice to have. Docker containers etc.

Exposing the OpenCL and CUDA instrinsics as part of the device
standard library. Also any other common functionality not covered
by the intrinsics.

The main work of dcompute will be developing the drivers for
OpenCL and CUDA, automating the horrible APIs with the power of
D's meta-programming. And of course building libraries of
kernels, which is the fun part.

I will continue to develop the necessary LDC features required,
if anyone would like to contribute to that effort I can give you
some directions but the compiler suff is a fair bit more
complicated.

@Mike Parker, what kind of things do you want me to write for the
blog?

P.S: Thanks so much for Vibe, Sönke! Being able to use D made the
writing if the server for my thesis so much less painful.