Webassembly?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 6 11:26:18 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 6 July 2017 at 17:19:34 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 July 2017 at 15:34:08 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
>> Is there a future where we can see WebAssembly as part of D?
>> Seeing Rusts backbone already producing wasm is impressive.
>>
>> WebAssembly currently does not support a GC ...so it fair the
>> assume that this will be the main issue for LDC?
>>
>> I see the move towards one language for back and front-end as
>> the future.
>
> I'm just curious how it doesn't support GC? Like if you can
> allocate and free memory then you can have a GC.

People usually point to this design doc:

https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/GC.md

I don't know much about GC or their IR, but I get the impression
it's more about integrating with the browser's GC, so you can
seamlessly pass objects to javascript.  I believe people have
written their own GCs that target webasm, so the D GC can likely
be made to do the same.