D for mobile development

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 8 09:25:55 PDT 2017

>> IMHO, the curent D language and standard libraries are fine
>> enough, and instead of investing time in tweaking them, making
>> this GUI library and the required tool chain fully operational
>> on desktop and mobile platform should be the #1 priority.
>
> This is a community-driven OSS project, there is no #1
> priority.  You may want that, but many others may not care for
> it, and you can't make them volunteer to do it.

Indeed.

But that doesn't mean that I'm completely wrong in thinking that
a language which is natively very convenient for web and mobile
development (like Dart) can easily increase its popularity.

>> Because as long as developing cross-platform connected mobile
>> apps and backends is significantly EASIER with other languages
>> (and I'm not only talking about Dart), it will be very hard
>> for D to somewhat improve its popularity.
>
> D compares more to the C/C++ NDK, which isn't in the same
> league of ease of use and integration as you talk about with
> Dart. But D could also be used for more lightweight GUI app
> development, so we'd like to get it to the usability level of
> Dart someday.

That's right, but I still think that D, as a language, has
everything needed to make it the perfect language for mobile,
server and desktop applications.

D is as convenient as a high-level scripting language, and in the
mean time as fast and powerful as a low-level programming
language like C++.

That's the ideal mix for mobile applications. And nowadays MANY
programmers are developing connected and mobile applications.

>> And this is actually the #1 reason why I can't convince ANY of
>> the developers I know to even try the language...
>
> Are you talking about the ease of GUI development or mobile or
> both holding D back?  I agree that D has neglected mobile, see
> my recent thread:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/xgiwhblmkvcgnsktjnoo@forum.dlang.org

+1