proposed @noreturn attribute

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 8 12:57:56 PDT 2017

On 7/8/2017 3:52 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> consider that GDC and LDC already both have that attribute courtesy of their
> backends (@attribute("noreturn") and @llvmAttr("noreturn") respectively).

One could argue that since "noreturn" changes the interface of a function, it
should also change its signature (i.e. name mangling). I don't believe this is
currently the case with any C++ compiler, or with LDC/GDC.

And frankly I'm sure it's annoying to users to use that attribute portably
between GDC/LDC. The concept of noreturn should be part of the language, not a
compiler implementation.