Automatic invariant generation

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 9 04:10:37 PDT 2017

> And since when did we care about null pointers causing segfaults?

Remember Tony Hoare's "The Billion Dollar Mistake"? That added a lot of fuel to
the fire that a null pointer seg fault is supposed to be avoided at all costs,
leading to wanting a softer, friendlier assert message instead.

I strongly disagree with Hoare - the billion dollar C mistake is having arrays
relentlessly decay to pointers, leading to endless buffer overflow bugs. Seg
faults aren't malware vectors.

> Can anyone vouch for this feature?

I'm sure if you're willing to spend a while searching this n.g. database, you'll
find a lot.