size_t.sizeof == 2 && __LINE__.sizeof == 4

Luís Marques via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 10 10:49:04 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 17:32:01 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> The official stance is that we don't.  There is just far too
> much baggage that gets piled in by default that makes it very
> hostile, however those of us who are capable of doing so won't
> try to stop you, and you have the likes of minilibd and other
> minimal D libraries as friendly replacement, perhaps you could
> even use them on top of musl. ;-)

By "we don't" it seems you are referring to supporting D +
druntime + Phobos. But, to clarify, plain -betterC D seems to
work well. One issue is that size_t currently has the wrong size,
and changing it involves at least some druntime support (changing
object.d, and changing all of the size_t line = __LINE__ fallout).

BTW, I wasn't sure how I should go about changing druntime and
Phobos regarding the size_t line -> line_t line transition. I
opted to change LDC's fork of druntime first, because it seemed
to me like the contribution had a better chance of being
accepted, and afterwards make a separate dlang/druntime pull
request. But the more natural way would probably be to change the
canonical druntime first and then merge the changes on the LDC
side, no?

- Luís