Slides share: DMesos - Not only a re-implementation of Mesos

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 10 11:45:34 PDT 2017

On 07/10/2017 02:16 PM, Joakim wrote:
> I'm actually skeptical of cloud- I think mobile p2p will eat most
> of the cloud-

I've been REALLY hoping p2p will eat...cloud^H^H^H^H^Hcentralized
internet services[1], but if I were a betting man I'd bet heavily
against it. For one thing, for p2p to kill "cloud" we'd realistically
need IPv6 to become much more ubiquitous, and that just isn't happening.

And I think the #2 reason IPv6 isn't happening (behind plain old
inertia) is that it would *allow* p2p to overtake cloud. Which brings me
to the next reason I don't think p2p will kill "cloud": All the big
players with all the money and the power all LOVE "cloud" because it
allows them to hoard more power, control and money, whereas p2p would
completely destroy that frontier for them.

Also, replacing "cloud" with p2p would mean more reliance on user's
devices actually having decent storage and upload bandwidth, but
non-power-users (ie the vast majority of people, if you don't live in
hipster valley) are ambivalent towards that, and it would raise the
price of their devices, AND they don't want to deal with running low on
storage, or backing things up, so they love "cloud" too.

Both the engineer and the humanitarian in me both REALLY want to see p2p
eat "cloud", but I just don't see it realistically happening.

[1] The word "clould" bugs me to no end. It's the tech sector's
equivalent to "smurf" - stupid word is used to mean *anything*
internet-releated, even "internet" itself.