version=D_16

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 12 04:03:02 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 09:38:13 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
wrote:
> On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 23:01:50 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
>> On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 22:39:22 UTC, Petar Kirov
>> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>>> The problem Walter pointed to is that due to integer
>> Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. For me it hasn't
>> proved a problem, but I could see it being if you do a lot of
>> arithmetic with 16-bit integers.
>
> I just want to point out, that my impression is that the maker
> scene
> using all this 16 bit Arm Arduino and what ever micro
> controllers,
> would be happy to have D as an alternative for coding in C.
> So BetterC and D_16 might attract a way bigger community than
> many
> other might think. Even if this reduced language might need to
> be named D-- :-).
I would like to have a D that throw away all that integer
promotion garbage anyway. We have CommonType!(), which is all we
need and any promotion to a larger type than the common type of
two operands does us no good in any place I can think of.