Toward Go 2 (or D needs to collect experience reports)

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 14 19:55:42 PDT 2017

Very interesting article: https://blog.golang.org/toward-go2

The highlights:

> Our goal for Go 2 is to fix the most significant ways Go fails
> to scale.

> Go 2 must bring along all those developers. We must ask them to
> unlearn old habits and learn new ones only when the reward is
> great.

> Go 2 must also bring along all the existing Go 1 source code.
> We must not split the Go ecosystem. Mixed programs, in which
> packages written in Go 2 import packages written in Go 1 and
> vice versa, must work effortlessly during a transition period
> of multiple years. We'll have to figure out exactly how to do
> that; automated tooling like go fix will certainly play a part.

> Today, what we need most is experience reports. Please tell us
> how Go is working for you, and more importantly not working for
> you. Write a blog post, include real examples, concrete detail,
> and real experience. And link it on our wiki page. That's how
> we'll start talking about what we, the Go community, might want
> to change about Go.

I believe that if we ever want to see D3, we should start a
similar process and collect real world feedback about things that
are annoying on a daily basis.
There have been many threads about "I want to have feature X" in
D and of course legendary threads like the one about removing
auto-decoding, but the aim of this discussion is to identify
things that bother you frequently or prevent you from using D on
a wider scale.
Please see Russ's post for good examples. Blog posts or reports
on the wiki are very welcome.