newCTFE Status July 2017

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 15 02:02:02 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 07:50:28 UTC, Dmitry wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 July 2017 at 12:45:19 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>
> Hi. Have you any public roadmap (or somethilng like this) of
> newCTFE?
> Will be useful to see what planned, what finished, etc.

All I have are the CTFE status threads, where one can see what I
consider a working feature set.
What is planed is simple to state: "Re-implement the full
functionality of the current ctfe-interpreter in the new IR-based
system"

It is hard for me to say in advance which features will be
working, or indeed regress next.
Since the interactions between features form a complex system
which by definition is  very hard to predict.

My current goal is to make complex structs work.
Meaning structs with other structs inside it.
For example
struct SimpleStruct
{
   float c;
   uint a;
   ulong b;
}

struct complexStruct {
   SimpleStruct[2] a;
   complexStruct* next;
}

The complex struct will currently produce a vaild IR type.
But will generate invalid code, since the ABI is currently in the
process of changing.
And different parts of the code will interpret the data
differently.

On top of that I have to rebuild a few of the expression handling
routines to switch from the old reference based  ABI to the new
hybrid ABI.