D easily overlooked?

Mark via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 15 04:22:10 PDT 2017

On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 08:57:17 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> https://blog.sourced.tech/post/language_migrations/
>
> A recent article where github programming languages popularity
> and migration got analysed was very interesting but it showed
> one noticeable thing:
>
> A total lack of D even mentioned!!!
>
> When looking at other language ranking sites, D always scores
> better then Rust. Yet, Rust gets included in the ranking but D
> is ... nowhere to be seen. It gets even a bit annoying when its
> always Rust, Rust, Rust ... that keeps popping up. Seen it more
> and more how Rust is simply trampling over any D messaging.
>
> D... It really has no very unique feature that makes it
> noticeable.
>
> * No Galactic overlord ( C#, Go, ... )
> * no GC language that people can push until people there ears
> bleed ( Rust)
> * no really unique features that people care about to set it
> aside from C/C++, ...
> * It has the kitchen and sink but nobody talk about the kitchen
> and sink.
>
> I know people will jump onboard and start yelling how D has
> very unique features but from the "outside world" its always
> the same response. While more people are downloading D and
> trying it out, i barely see any independent D language blogs.
>
> Not to be a downer but D really in my eyes is missing that
> "unique" feature that people care about, that allows people to
> blog about the language...

Well, at one point Andrei said that what is missing to make D's
growth explosive is a strong corporate sponser [1]. This seemed
sensible to me at the time and still seems sensible today. But I
don't know what (if anything) can be done to increase the
corporate community's interest in D.

[1] CPPcast, Oct. 27, 2015:
http://cppcast.com/2015/10/andrei-alexandrescu/ (at 25:30)