D easily overlooked?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 15 10:10:56 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 16:52:51 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 11:22 +0000, Mark via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: […]
>>
>> Well, at one point Andrei said that what is missing to make
>> D's growth explosive is a strong corporate sponser [1]. This
>> seemed sensible to me at the time and still seems sensible
>> today. But I don't know what (if anything) can be done to
>> increase the corporate community's interest in D.
>
> Java has IBM, Oracle, Red Hat, many companies, and the JCP
>
> C++ has Microsoft, Intel, many companies, and ISO/IEC
> JTC1/SC22/WG21
>
> Rust has Mozilla, and lots of companies thinking it beats C++.
>
> Go has Google, Cloudflare, and many companies, mostly Web
> focussed.
>
> Swift has Apple, and the entire iOS community.
>
> D has ???

Sociomantic, Weka, EMSI, and a handful of others.  None is as
humongous as google or Apple, but then it's not like those
companies write everything in Go and Swift.  Those languages are
small parts of those giant corporations.

To answer Mark's original question, the corporates get interested
when there are competitors eating their lunch with new tech.
They don't actively scout out all the new tech, they're far too
lazy for that.  But when Sociomantic or Weka or some new company
_you_ build with D starts putting them out of business, their
ears perk up. ;)

The no. 1 thing that will help D is people writing great software
with it and showing how wonderful D is.  More than docs, fixing
bugs, marketing, anything.  It doesn't matter if the language
still has flaws, the influx of use, attention, and money after
that will help patch those holes up, look at Rails.  You don't
have to have a huge budget to write that D software, the guy who
wrote Tilix did it in his spare time and it's the top-starred D
project on github after dmd:

https://github.com/search?l=D&q=stars%3A>1&s=stars&type=Repositories