D easily overlooked?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 15 10:42:57 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 17:36:50 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 17:10:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 16:52:51 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Sociomantic, Weka, EMSI, and a handful of others.  None is as
>> humongous as google or Apple, but then it's not like those
>> companies write everything in Go and Swift.  Those languages
>> are small parts of those giant corporations.
>>
>> To answer Mark's original question, the corporates get
>> interested when there are competitors eating their lunch with
>> new tech.  They don't actively scout out all the new tech,
>> they're far too lazy for that.  But when Sociomantic or Weka
>> or some new company
>
>> The no. 1 thing that will help D is people writing great
>> software with it and showing how wonderful D is.
>
> Who is building the killer app?

Maybe it's Weka?

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/pjogugkxvvntleoqclef@forum.dlang.org

Maybe it's Adam. :) You never know where it will come from.
Nobody knew who the VisiCalc guys were and they made the Apple II:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VisiCalc

The important part is that we need many people to try building
great stuff with D, and out of some combination of good
application design, users who really want that ability, and luck,
something will rise up.