D easily overlooked?

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 16 01:37:53 PDT 2017

> Who is building the killer app?

Why do you need a killer app ?

Here is how Google "sells" Go on golang.org :

"Go is an open source programming language that makes it easy to
build simple, reliable, and efficient software."

And here is how Google "sells" Dart dartlang.org :

"Dart is an application programming language that’s easy to
learn, easy to scale, and deployable everywhere.
Google depends on Dart to make very large apps."

In two words : "EASY TO".

Have you seen Dart's core GOALS ?

"1. Provide a solid foundation of libraries and tools

A programming language is nothing without its core libraries and
tools. Dart’s have been powering very large apps for years now.

2. Make common programming tasks easy

Application programming comes with a set of common problems and
common errors. Dart is designed to make those problems easier to
tackle, and errors easier to catch. This is why we have
async/await, generators, string interpolation, earlier error
detection and much more.

3. Don’t surprise the programmer

There should be a direct correspondence between what you type and
what’s going to happen. Magic (automatic type coercion, hoisting,
“helper” globals, …) doesn’t mix well with large apps.

4. Be the stable, pragmatic solution for real apps

Dart might seem boring to some. We prefer the terms productive
and stable. We work closely with our core customers—the
developers who build large applications with Dart—to make sure
we’re here for the long run."

Let's look how D is "sold" on dlang.org :

"D is a general-purpose programming language with static typing,
systems-level access, and C-like syntax. It combines efficiency,
control and modeling power with safety and programmer
productivity."

And then :

"Why D ?

1. Convenience (type inference, GC, arrays, slices, ranges, etc)

2. Power (classic polymorphism, value semantics, functional
style, generics, generative programming, contract programming,
concurrency, etc)

3. Efficiency (native code, fast and safe, native pointers, etc)."

Do you see the difference between those website ?

Language features versus real-world usage, again !!!

The only "major" changes to dlang.org that I've seen appearing
recently :

1. "general-purpose" is more open and welcoming that "systems".
2. there is a 10-liners we b-server "hello world" example which
sometimes (randomly) appears in the code roulette.

I sincerely appreciate the effort, really, but admit that there
is still a HUGE difference between how D and more popular
languages like Python, Go, etc are advertised.

I'm still not convinced that D's way is the best in order to
significantly improve its popularity among developers...