Building DMD on OpenBSD

Anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 17 09:45:28 PDT 2017

On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 09:58:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> The last dmd we released that was written in C++ was 2.067, for
> which you can still check out the branch.  You'd have to
> build that bootstrap compiler 2.067 first, then worry about the
> latest dmd.
>
> Since we don't regularly build for OpenBSD, it's
> possible that support has slipped behind.  Usually, it's
> as easy as adding OpenBSD to a couple more #ifdefs, but
> sometimes you need to adapt the dmd source also for a rarely
> used platform like OpenBSD.

I managed to build the bootstrap dmd without any trouble. Btw the
wiki page doesn't mention that the dependency is *GNU* Make
which is typically installed as gmake on BSDs. Then I tried
building the new dmd and got (in dmd/src):

CC=c++ dmd -of../generated/openbsd/release/64/idgen ddmd/idgen.d
Error: cannot find source code for runtime library file
'object.d'
        dmd might not be correctly installed. Run 'dmd
-man' for installation instructions.
        config file: /etc/dmd.conf
Specify path to file 'object.d' with -I switch
gmake[1]: *** [posix.mak:437:
../generated/openbsd/release/64/idgen] Error 1

Now I'm trying to figure out the /etc/dmd.conf business. I
found ini/freebsd/bin64/dmd.conf in the 2.067 dmd folder so I
guess I'll start from there. Thanks for the help so far.