If Statement with Declaration

sontung via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 19 06:30:56 PDT 2017

So I was thinking of a way of extending if statements that have
declarations. The following being as example of the current use
of if statements with declarations:

     if(int* weDontPollute = someFunc())
     {
          // use weDontPollute
     }

That's great and all, but it only works by checking if the
variable evaluates to true or false. Which is fine for a pointer
but otherwise useless for anything else, like integers where zero
is usually valid input (index for array). So currently the only
way to do something like this in the language, that i've found,
is to use a for statement.

     for(int i = someFunc(); i >= 0;)
     {
         // use i

         break;
     }

Not that ideal to use a for statement. It makes it hard to read
and if the break condition isn't there it might very well be an
infinite loop. So I was thinking of some sort of syntax like this:

     if(int i = someFunc(); i >= 0)
     {
         // use i
     }