D easily overlooked?

solidstate1991 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 19 17:38:08 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 17:36:50 UTC, aberba wrote:

> Who is building the killer app?

The problem with a killer app is that it needs multiple teams to
build it, not a single person, and many open-source projects go
on their own ways instead of contributing to a single goal, see
the many distros of Linux for an example. You know my engine
called PixelPerfectEngine, that project started in 2014, and it's
still in alpha due to its massive lack of features compared to
some of its competitors also doing 2D graphics in a similar way.
One even has mode7-like capabilities and road generation,
although mine will have an editor and a sound engine capable of
playing back multi-channel music, instead of concentrating solely
on graphics, not to mention the possibility of hardware
acceleration via DCompute and VideoCore4 assembly (I'll write
that few blitter and alpha-blending stuff in assembly, I already
had to write them in x86 assembly due to the lack of proper SIMD
with any of the compilers). Granted, I had college, work, family
and personal issues due to long periods of unemployment, and in
the beginning my skills seriously lacked, but with a team the
engine would already have been finished.

But even first, the language and the compilers still have their
own problems. DLL support is buggy, SIMD is partial and x86-64
exclusive, the GC is not perfect, many parts of the standard
library is obsolete, like the XML parser.