D easily overlooked?

Wulfklaue via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 20 08:40:04 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 08:37:53 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I sincerely appreciate the effort, really, but admit that there
> is still a HUGE difference between how D and more popular
> languages like Python, Go, etc are advertised.
>
> I'm still not convinced that D's way is the best in order to
> significantly improve its popularity among developers...

After going back recently to good old Pascal. More specific the
freepascal compiler combined with Visual Studio Code +
Omnipascal, ... it felt just more easy.

In a few days time after reading up all the details, i got myself
a nice multithreaded http server build without using any
standardized framework. Sure it is missing a lot of functionality
but i felt more proud writing it in Pascal, then i did writing
the same in D

The easy to write cross platform Dlls. The more clean design to
use those DLL loading without relying on dlsym all the time. The
time wasted trying to figure that out in D to get it working
correctly. *uch* ...

While the language is indeed more "verbose" ( not that much ),
the compiler does less checking, it just is more "fun". D feels
more like work. Now it also helps that there is massive amount of
more documentation for pascal out there, even if its old.

My system needs a dozen core design implementations. Finding the
base code for half, in Pascal took me a day. In D it took weeks
of searching and trying to understand ( and a lot i do not have )
and i still have less code examples then pascal.

At the same Pascal compiles in 0.1 second, give me the speed
similar(actually faster) than D, cross platform support, no need
to mess with different compiler ( dmd for compile, ldc for speed
). Its even more TTD then D :)

Windows: Download, install, runs. It integrates perfectly with
the Visual Studio Code plugin. Linux a simple apt-get command. No
need to download a deb or run a shell script.

It just more user friendly in a strange way. I feel like i can
talk hours about Pascal but D feels so C++ like. Maybe that is
why its hard to accept.

The point that Ecstatic Coder has been trying to make for a long
time. D for all its merits feels at times ... do not know how to
express.