D easily overlooked?

Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 21 06:25:32 PDT 2017

On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 13:29:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Yes, D's compile-time regex are still the fastest in the world.
>  I've been benching it recently for a marketing-oriented blog
> post I'm preparing for the official D blog, std.regex beats out
> the top C and Rust entries from the benchmarks game on
> linux/x64 with a single core:
>
> http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/regexredux.html
> https://github.com/joakim-noah/regex-bench
>
> D comes in third on Android/ARM, but not far behind, suggesting
> it would still be third on that list if run with a bunch of
> other languages on mobile.  Dmitry thinks it might be alignment
> issues, the bane of cross-platform, high-performance code on
> ARM, as he hasn't optimized his regex code for ARM.

Interesting. A few months ago I wanted to sell ctRegex as the
fastest one in a presentation, but in my benchmarks (based on
[1]) I found it to be of equal speed or slower than boost::regex
(LDC vs Clang).

I've got to take a look at your benchmarks, and repeat mine to
check again if I didn't mess something up.

[1] http://lh3lh3.users.sourceforge.net/reb.shtml