Problem with integral promotions

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 22 03:51:05 PDT 2017

Walter Bright wrote:

> 2. Codify existing practice, since it has been that way forever. Not
> matching C has caused problems, see 16997 and 17637. It may cause more
> serious silent problems for people converting C code to D code.

i'd say "codify, and add warning". since i patched the warning into the
compiler, i have no more problems with the current rules: compiler tells me
about possible incompatibilities with C, and i can either add `()` to
silent the warning, or explicitly cast to the type i want.

i think most other people will prefer to get warning instead of code
breakage too. at least i hope so. ;-)