D easily overlooked?

Bienlein via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 25 23:40:22 PDT 2017

> When looking at other language ranking sites, D always scores
> better then Rust. Yet, Rust gets included in the ranking but D
> is ... nowhere to be seen.

Well, on the Tiobe index D is currently on place 23 way ahead of
Lua, Scala, Rust, Kotlin, Groovy. So there is obviously
asomething wrong with the Tiobe index here as all those other
languagse are quite a bit in use. Hope this compensates a bit for
your pain ;-).

> Not to be a downer but D really in my eyes is missing that
> "unique" feature that people care about, that allows people to
> blog about the language...

D is the most feature rich language I know of. Maybe only Scala
comes close, but Scala can be at times an unreadable mess as the
designers of the language valued mixing functional and OO higher
than readability. D, on the contrary, has a very clean design
througout.

But you are right. D is missing some unique selling point like
ease of concurrency using Communicating Sequential Processes in
Go or memory safety in Rust without a GC. This is because D does
not have a business model, but seems to be seen as a playground
for building the greatest language ever. I fear this will not
change. Topics of people arguing that D needs a business case pop
up regularly here and are every time mostly or also completely
ignored. It does not look like this will change, because the main
drivers of the language never drop a comment in those discussions.