DIP 1012--Attributes--Preliminary Review Round 1

rjframe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 27 11:48:51 PDT 2017

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 14:44:23 +0000, Mike Parker wrote:

> DIP 1012 is titled "Attributes".
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1012.md

1. I would like to see consistency; I'd rather see @nogc and @gc than @nogc
and @core.attributes.[whatever].gc, so all these attributes should be
aliased alike.

2. I don't really understand the need for this. The two times I wanted a
whole module @safe but failed (so note I'm speaking from a lack of
experience), I just placed the one or two functions above the attribute.

Though mixing combinations of attributes on functions would be greatly
simplified by this proposal, I personally don't know how common that is,
so I don't know the value in the proposal.

3. I don't like @inferred. If I'm going to call a function, I need to know
whether I can call it from a @safe/@nogc/@whatever function. I can't
imagine trying to work with Phobos (or any other library) if it documented
@inferred everywhere. Unless I've missed the point.