@safe and null dereferencing

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 27 16:52:27 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 09:32:12PM +0000, Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 20:48:51 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > If someone malicious has root access to your server, you already
> > have much bigger things to worry about than D services hanging. :-D
>
> That depends on how valuable you are as a target, how hard it was to
> gain root access, and what the attacker's intentions are.  If you are
> a high value target for which root access was hard to get, the
> attacker is unlikely to risk detection by doing things that someone
> (or an IDS) will categorize as an attack; the attacker is much more
> likely to try and subvert the system without being detected; see for
> example how Stuxnet was used to slowly damage centrifuge machines.

Yes, and therefore "you already have much bigger things to worry about
than D services hanging".  That you're ignorant of the compromise does
not negate the fact that you do have bigger things to worry about,
you're just blissfully unaware of them. :-P  Until the good stuff hits
the proverbial fan, of course.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I understand. -- Benjamin Franklin