How do you use D?

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 09:11:30 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 14:58:01 UTC, Ali wrote:
> While the Orgs using D page is very nice ... I hoping to hear
> more personal stories ...
>
> So
>
> How do you use D?

Privately whenever I need a program for something and D is the
right tool for the job.

> in your side project, (github, links please)

Most of my stuff is in a private gitlab instance, but there's
tunneled [1], which is essentially a tool for Linux to route an
arbitrary application's IPv4 traffic through an OpenVPN tunnel
without interfering with the rest of the system's network traffic
(i.e. other applications continue as is) using control groups.

> just to learn something new? (I would easily argue that
> learning D will make you a better C++ programmer, maybe not the
> most efficient way, but I a sure it i very effective)

I originally started using D1 to learn something new (way back
when), but I (on and off) stuck with it till today because it's
still the least horrible option out there (that I know of) with
the properties I need (designed for native programming, easy C
interop, high productivity, maintainability, few UB / wtf
moments).

> What is you D setup at work, which compiler, which IDE?

For single file things neovim+dutyl, for projects Sublime Text 3
+ custom plugin [2].
No IDEs for me.

> And any other fun facts you may want to share :)

There's a (harmless) memory leak in druntime I want gone [3].

[1] https://github.com/Calrama/tunneled
[2] https://github.com/Calrama/sublide
[3] https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1857