How do you use D?

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 11:48:25 PDT 2017

On 07/28/2017 11:02 AM, Anton Fediushin wrote:

 > not with Go/Rust.  They're good programming languages

I really don't want to be in a position to diss other languages but with
some experience, I can tell you that I agree with blog posts about Go
being a disservice to programmers.[1] It is a good language in the sense
that you have to dial your intellectual self down, accept limitations,
and be deaf to limitations sold as merits. I can understand "Go is
limited because it lacks this and that" but I can't agree with "Go is
great because it lacks this and that." Maybe with a little more time I
will forget powerful features of other languages and be a content Go
programmer. :)

A friend of mine who had left Weka a few months ago has joined a startup
in the microservices domain. The company uses Go (and some Python). My
friend looked at Go and then spent some time to learn Rust and decided
to push D instead for "competitive edge." (Not my words! :) ) His
argument was, why should we be wasting time with other languages. So he
is using D to write the most critical piece of the product.

 > splitted like in C++.

I must have missed that one. Please tell me more about it or give some
links to read about it. All I know is there is always disagreement on
how some new C++ features should be designed.

Ali

[1]
http://nomad.so/2015/03/why-gos-design-is-a-disservice-to-intelligent-programmers/