Bad array indexing is considered deadly

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 1 02:18:24 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 at 01:05:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> This topic comes up regularly in this forum - the idea that a
> program that entered an unknown, undefined state is actually ok
> and can continue executing. Maybe that's fine on a system (such
> as a gaming console) where nobody cares if it goes off the deep
> end and it is not connected to the internet so it cannot
> propagate malware infections.

+1

Why are we discussing this topic again at all? Again?

Even with consumer software, you may want to crash immediately so
that you actually get complaints from testers/buyers instead of
having a silent, invisible bug that no one will report ever.

Actually leaving checks is imho perfectly valid for consumer
software, if you don't do that the next consumers will have the
issues that didn't get reported.