Phobos 2

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 2 11:43:32 PDT 2017

On 06/02/2017 01:43 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 09:14:14 UTC, qznc wrote:
> [...]
>> D has a painful history with two competing standard libraries. If you
>> seriously propose this path, I hope Andrei and Walter will publicly
>> and vehemently oppose it. Otherwise that ghost from the past becomes a
>> PR disaster for D.
> [...]
>
> I think this is overreacting.  "Phobos 2" is not supposed to be a
> *competing* library, but, as I see it, more like an alpha version of the
> next "major iteration" of Phobos. The "next major version" with a brand
> new paradigm, if you will, as opposed to incremental changes to the
> "current major version".

A clean slate is alluring, and there are several things that can be done
differently in Phobos, as there are in any project that's been around
for a while. It may, however, be difficult to find enough people able
and willing to take such a large project off the ground. There are
plenty of great things that can be done with the standard library,
ranging from the trivial - documentation, fixes of bugs triaged as
"trivial" or "bootcamp" etc - to the most creative.

As an example, eliminating phobos' and druntime's reliance on "static
this" would improve conviviality of D in mixed-language projects, but we
have yet to find folks to do the work. To the best of my knowledge only
David, Stanislav, and myself have been involved so far.

Andrei