Phobos 2

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 2 23:37:27 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 02:16:16AM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 20:37:05 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Especially the bit about throwing away years of accumulated
> > programming work.
>
> Our IRC discussion was more about simplifying the Phobos interface
> through breaking changes than actually just dropping and rewriting.
> Most the "phobos 2" would just be today's phobos with mistakes
> changed, autodecoding deprecated then removed, eager functions same
> deal (the discussion that started it was split vs splitter), static
> array interfaces removed (you'd have to explicitly slice at the call
> site instead of Phobos trying to two-layer ref them), etc.
>
> So step one of this would be to copy existing code. Then cut the
> mistakes out.
>
> The modified modules are just given a new package name (or something)
> to ease the transition.

Now that you put it this way, this suddenly seems a lot less disruptive
and intimidating than it first sounded.

And it sounds more possible to actually use the deprecation cycle to
gradually pull this off, as opposed to throwing out the baby with the
bath water and restarting from ground zero.

And by putting the modified modules in a new temporary namespace, we can
ease the transition enough that perhaps we might actually see this
happen, one day. (Haha, so I hope.)

Some days you win; most days you lose.