Bad array indexing is considered deadly

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 3 02:48:05 PDT 2017

On 03.06.2017 08:55, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> On Friday, 2 June 2017 at 23:23:45 UTC, nohbdy wrote:
>
>> It's exacerbated because Walter is in a mindset of writing
>> mission-critical applications where any detectable bug means you need
>> to restart the program. Honestly, if I were writing flight control
>> systems for Airbus, I could modify druntime to raise SIGABRT or call
>> exit(3) when you try to throw an Error. It would be easy, and it would
>> be worthwhile. If you really need cleanup, atexit(3) is available.
>
> The worst thing happened in programming in the last 30 years is just
> that less and less programmers are adopting Walter mindset...
>
> I'm really really puzzled by why this topic pops up so often...
>

> /Paolo

I don't get why you would /restart/ mission-critical software that has
been shown to be buggy. What you need to do instead: Have a few more
development teams that create independent implementations of your
service. (Completely from scratch, as the available libraries were not
developed to the necessary standard.) All of them should run on
different hardware produced in different factories by different
companies. Furthermore, you need to hire a team of testers and software
verification experts vastly exceeding the team of developers in
magnitude, etc.