CTFE Status 2

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 6 13:30:12 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 03:35:11PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I can characterize memory corruption bugs as errors that occur
> randomly and can manifest in any kind of behavior. Even more nasty is
> sometimes they happen in code that you didn't even touch, because it
> was *always* happening, but just didn't cause a bug until you changed
> memory organization around slightly.
[...]

Yep, that's exactly the kind of bug I'm talking about.  The kind that
can appear/disappear depending on the order you link your object files,
or declare dummy variables in an unrelated function, or whether you
compile with debugging symbols (because that changes the memory layout
of your program enough to make the symptoms disappear). The latter is
the worst variant of its kind, because it means you're up Bug Creek
without any debugging symbol paddles to help you. (And yes, I've
actually had to deal with that before. It was not pretty.)

"If you're arguing, you're losing." -- Mike Thomas