DMD is now part of the doc pages on dlang.org

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 7 06:51:26 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 11:30:47 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> Slightly offtopic but why are there two documentation
> libraries. I found the dlang.org/library version way more
> readable. Did not even realized this existed.
>
> Mass dumped documentation in a single document is so year 2000
> :)

Ddoc (/phobos, aka the builtin -D flag in the compiler) was first
and the process of replacing it with DDox
(https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/ddox) is taking quite some
time, because the output isn't identical and there are still some
"design" issues with Ddox, see e.g. this PR for an overview:

https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1526

The transition started about three years ago and I think it just
doesn't bother anyone enough to work on it:

https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/695

> Second question:
>
> I wanted to add a simple example to:
>
> https://dlang.org/library/std/datetime/date.to_string.html
>

> But the link "Improve this page" results in a dead page.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/edit/master/std/datetime.d#L13022
>
> The datatime file is not located in that position.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/std/datetime/date.d
>
> This is the correct location.

The "View the source" code link uses a link to the latest stable
release (i.e. the one that is deployed on dlang.org, currently
2.074.1):

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/v2.074.1/std/datetime.d#L13022

The "Improve this page" links to `master`, because you want to
improve the file at the `master` branch, which admittedly can be
a bit tricky.
When you want to modify `master` branch, the `-prerelease` pages
are your friend, e.g.

https://dlang.org/library-prerelease/std/datetime/date/date.to_string.html