Isn't it about time for D3?

bpr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 10 17:04:56 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 at 23:30:18 UTC, Liam McGillivray wrote:

I'd be fascinated by a revised D like language, say D3 or
whatever.

> Here are some ways that D3 can be an improvement of D2:
> -Final by default

Wow, after all that, this is it? I think final by default would
be an improvement, and I wish it had gone through, but it's not a
big enough deal to make a new language.

> -A standard library that is effective with or without garbage
> collection

That's being worked on with D right now, isn't it?

If you're not going to be very bold, what's the point of a D3?
Let's really change stuff!

> Structs, enums, and pattern matching, like Rust and ML
> Type follows name like Ada, Scala, Rust, ...
> Macros like Nim
> Parallel features from Chapel

I think it's a huge uphill battle for a new language these days,
and that there's more to be gained from fixing the current D and
others, but I encourage you to design the next D.