Makefile experts, unite!

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 12 11:53:42 PDT 2017

H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Don't forget tup, and others inspired by it, which use modern OS
> features to reduce the cost of determining what to build to an O(1)
> database lookup rather than an O(n) whole-source tree scan.

added complexity for nothing. disks gradually replacing with ssd, amount of
RAM allows to cache alot, and CPUs are faster and faster (and has more cores).

i still have HDD, 8GB of RAM, and 32-bit system. and it even worse some
time ago. in the last ~8 years i was using my k8jam for various projects:
several kb to multimegabytes of code and thousand files/alot of subdirs.
source tree scanning and dependency resolving NEVER was any significant
factor.

and i really mean it: it was less than a second even for a huge projects,
where linking alone took long enough that i could get coffee and cigarette. ;-)

worse is better. i hate to admit it, but most tricks we're learned over the
years becomes more and more useless. it doesn't matter if the program will
do it's work in 0.001 msecs or in 0.0001 msecs: this is not even a
difference between 10 minutes and 5 minutes anymore.