D, DStep, and Deimos

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 13 04:31:41 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-13 13:22, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Having now got some bits of libdvbv5 usable from D with aid of DStep –
> which let's be honest did 90.357% (roughly) of the work – thoughts turn
> to maintenance and distribution. So a few questions/comments:
>
> 1. Is Deimos "alive and well" as a place to host the current state of a
> D adaptor library,

No, I would avoid Deimos.

> or is it best to just have a repository somewhere:
> Git/GitHub, Git/BitBucket, Mercurial/BitBucket, Bazaar/Launchpad.

Yes, GitHub to make it accessible to Dub.

> 2. There needs to be an idiomatic process for updating DStep generated
> but manually amended libraries using DStep.

DStep has a flag to ignore translating the specified symbols. If you
specify that flag for the symbols you need to translate manually. would
that be an ok workflow?

> 3. I take it as given this needs to be in the Dub repository, is this
> fair?

Yes. If think there's specific category in Dub for bindings to C
libraries [1].

> 4. DStep is great.

Thanks :)

[1] http://code.dlang.org/?sort=updated&category=library.binding