Makefile experts, unite!

Ralph Amissah via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 13 07:15:12 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 11 2017, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

And where do existing D build systems fit into the picture, I seem to
recall this general discussion around the announcement of "button", which
seems interesting, potentially awesome even:

Button announcement
https://forum.dlang.org/post/uhozcvatvyztfuhivrjq@forum.dlang.org

Features
https://code.dlang.org/packages/button
- Implicit dependency detection.
- Correct incremental builds.
- Can display a graph of the build.
- Recursive. Can generate a build description as part of the build.
- Very general. Does not make any assumptions about the structure of your project.
- Detects and displays cyclic dependencies.
- Detects race conditions.

example build description provided (the build description is done in
lua)
https://github.com/jasonwhite/dmd/blob/button/src/BUILD.lua

http://jasonwhite.github.io/button/

I have not used it, but if it works as described on the box most should
be pleased to get to know and to use and promote, no?... I assume it
will work well with dub if necessary? Other D based build systems have
been mentioned, who is able to review them?

ralph.amissah at gmail.com