Re: Isn't it about time for D3?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 14 00:56:12 PDT 2017

Wulfklaue wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 at 20:51:37 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> Patrick Schluter wrote:
>> the main reason for D3 is not language changes, but workarounding "don't
>> break user code" thingy. it is completely impossible to experiment
>> freely or introduce breaking changes in D2 (for a reason, there is
>> nothing bad in it).
>
> Can you actually show us examples of what you think needs to break?

it would be a very long post. ;-) i scratched it a little above, though. my
private dmd fork has 100+ patches only to dmd itself, for example, and some
are disruptive enough that alot of my code is marked with `module a is aliced;`.

> Frankly one of the reasons why i ended up with D. It has the kitchen and
> sink, has everything from generics, meta programming and beyond. And the
> most import factor, it is STABLE. I am working on a big project that
> needs stability for the next 10+ years. This D3 discussion is
> discouraging to read.

and one of mine reasons was "yay, it is relatively new, unencumbered with
alot of legacy, and *evolving*!" none of it (our reasoning) is better over
another. ;-)

> D its flaws are the Phobos documentation layout

one of the things i absolutely don't care about, for example. ;-) besides,
dpldocs rox.

> So call me confused as to what is missing and needs such radical changes?

evolving. something very opposite to "stability", as expected by some
enterprise users. remember, not all D users are enterprise users. ;-) some
of us (me!) came here 'cause D is fun, not 'cause D is "stable", and we may
value stability much less than other kinds of users.

> Unless i am wrong there seem to be only one or two people actually
> pushing this D3 idea...

as for me, i'm not "pushing" it, i am merely "supporting" it. just to make
sure that other optinions besides "no, we don't need D3" are not seeing as
non-existant only due to their bearers being silent. ;-)