Deprecating phobos modules [was: Re: Isn't it about time for D3?]

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 14 02:38:06 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 at 23:30:18 UTC, Liam McGillivray wrote:

I'd be in favor of finally deprecating all sub-standard phobos
module (moving them to https://github.com/dlang/undeaD) to make
room for good implementations. Having a vacant place might be
more encouraging than to wait for something better to come along.
Of course discussing which modules should be obsoleted is a
tricky question.

std.signals
std.xml
std.outbuffer
std.socket
std.json // maybe ;)

I do not at all agree that a big language change is needed.
We just changed the lookup rules with
http://dlang.org/changelog/2.071.0.html and managed to make this
a transition instead of a break.
Also without a proposed feature list this discussion is somewhat
lame.