Isn't it about time for D3?

Wulfklaue via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 14 07:04:09 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 12:08:16 UTC, Mike wrote:
> * Rust is probably the best, but it doesn't have the modeling
> power of D and C++.

A lot of the points you mention, i also agree with but
implementing that list is akin to writing a new language. You do
not trow out the baby with the bathwater ;)

 From what i am reading, you want D to be Rust. Personally, Rust
make me want to tear out my eyes the moment you start with
lifetimes, unwrapping and ownership all combined , its becomes
almost unreadable.

>    fn the_longest<'a>(s1: &'a str, s2: &'a str) -> &'a str {
>        if s1.len() > s2.len() { s1 } else { s2 }
>    }

Rust really skips on the syntactic sugar *lol*.

If people want a low level language for microprocessors/plc, well
they already got C++14/17 and Rust. D can carve its own market
segment no? Why complicate D for one specific market segment?

There are defiantly nice point that you mention but dropping
C/C++ support is like a dead sentence. D does not have the
manpower and  libraries that people may need.