Isn't it about time for D3?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 15 00:32:42 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 21:55 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> I'm not saying all old code should compile without changes, just
> that it should compile with only minor changes. I know that in
> some cases new releases of DMD have stopped compiling pieces of
> my code that shouldn't have compiled in the first place, and
> that's a good thing. On the other hand, dropping the GC would be
> a dramatic change that would require a complete rewrite.
> Libraries have to work with future versions of the compiler,
> especially if others are using them and can't make changes
> themselves.

If D dropped the GC, then there wouldn't be a problem because there
wouldn't be any users. The GC is the single major factor for D in a
world of C++17, Rust, and Go: without the GC there is little point in
using D since C++, Rust, and Go have much more resources for
development of tools as much as of the language – cf. CLion, Gogland,
IntelliJ IDEA/Rust plugin to name just the JetBrains IDEs.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk