Isn't it about time for D3?

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 15 03:58:19 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 15 June 2017 at 07:32:42 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> The GC is the single major factor for D in a world of C++17,
> Rust, and Go:

An opinion. Mine is this: The two major factors for D are (and
have been for as long as I've been using it):
1. Productivity (i.e. focusing on writing actual problem solving
code, not on dealing with language deficiencies)
2. Maintainability (i.e. still have that productive code look
reasonable easy to understand a year from now without having to
look up language deficiencies to understand why something *has*
to look exactly the way it does, or introduce bugs)
The GC is nice in that it contributes to both of these points
(and I have no desire to see it removed), but even without it
there is no other native language (that I've tried as of yet)
that comes even remotely close.

> without the GC there is little point in using D since C++,
> Rust, and Go have much more resources for development of tools
> as much as of the language – cf. CLion, Gogland, IntelliJ
> IDEA/Rust plugin to name just the JetBrains IDEs.

Still an opinion, so here is mine again (based merely on personal
experience):
Despite all those resources, someone having invested about the
same amount of time in mastering C++(17), Rust, Go, and D will
still end up being more productive in D, simply because, out of
all of these languages, you have to fight D to do what you want
the least.
Is D perfect? No, not by any stretch of the definition, but it is
still (by far) the least worst choice out there, no matter how
good the tooling for other languages is or becomes.