Replacing Make for the DMD build

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 16 05:37:50 PDT 2017

On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 07:00:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2017-06-16 08:30, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> A direct question to Walter and Andrei really.
>>
>> If someone, let us say Russel Winder, create a CMake/Ninja
>> and/or
>> Meson/Ninja build for DMD, is there any chance of it being
>> allowed to
>> replace the Make system?
>>
>> If the answer is no, then Russel will obviously not waste his
>> time
>> doing something that will not be accepted.
>
> I would guess it's more likely that Make would be replaced by a
> build script written in D than any of the above.

More likely than that is that there is discussion of writing a
build script in D, someone starts working on it, and two years
later there are forum posts about whatever happened to that
project.

I would much prefer to using an existing build system. There are
so many higher priorities for the community.