D needs to get its shit together!

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 16 06:30:21 PDT 2017

On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 03:53:18 UTC, Mike B Johnson wrote:
> Seriously! D is starting to gain momentum and if things are not
> stabilized it's going to slow D down.
>
> [...]

All decent ideas- except for the bit about D1, as it has been
deprecated- but obviously nobody has been willing to work on
adding such fit and finish.  If you believe someone should
volunteer their time to work on this, the obvious question is why
don't you do it?  If you think there is a market for paid support
that includes such polish, you could charge for it.

On the other hand, maybe D is not meant for the kind of user who
needs such an easy path.  What does it matter if you set D up
really easily and then can't grasp such a sprawling, lower-level
language?  Perhaps _this_ is the right packaging for D right now,
to keep away the kinds of casual users who would not be suited
for D.

I don't have a strong opinion on that, just making an
observation.  It works well for me, and having a long history of
using OSS projects that are _much_ worse to set up, I can't
complain. :)