D needs to get its shit together!

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 16 10:10:41 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-16 09:53, Mike B Johnson wrote:
>> DVM [1] is doing some of this.
>
> Cool, does it keep things well organized

It depends on what you definition of organized. DVM is a tool that
allows you to easily install D compilers. It also allows to easily
switch between multiple versions of the compiler. That is, you can have
one window (terminal) with one version and another window with another
version.

On Posix it installs everything ~/.dvm. Each compiler is placed in its
own directory, it's mostly the zip archives available on dlang.org
unpacked. Here's an example of how the directory structure looks like on
Posix:

$ tree -L 2 .dvm
.dvm
├── archives
│   ├── dmd.2.073.0.osx.zip
│   ├── dmd.2.074.0-b1.osx.zip
│   └── dmd.2.074.0.osx.zip
├── bin
│   ├── dmd-2.073.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0-b1
│   ├── dvm
│   ├── dvm-current-dc
│   ├── dvm-default-dc
├── compilers
│   ├── dmd-2.073.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0-b1
├── env
│   ├── default
│   ├── dmd-2.073.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0
│   ├── dmd-2.074.0-b1
└── scripts
     └── dvm

> and deals with windows issues(link.exe., dlls, etc) or just uses the "D way" which is a hairball?

I'm not that familiar with Windows (the Windows support was contributed
by another developer) so I'm not sure which issues you refer to.

--
/Jacob Carlborg