Replacing Make for the DMD build

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 04:08:36 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-06-16 at 19:20 +0000, Cym13 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 13:16:06 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> > One issue that came up is that whatever we replace Make with
> > would have to generate Makefiles as a fallback, back in the
>
> I very much support this idea, Reggae is great. Also it supports
> multiple backends including make, ninja, and binary (which means
> no dependency, reggae does it all). It's been arround for long
> enough to be considered stable and quite frankly Attila being
> behind it alone makes me believe it is quality software. It's
> already been used for phobos so we know it can handle at least
> that kind of building complexity. It seems like the obvious
> choice for me if make is to be let go.

Reggae instead of CMake with Ninja sounds a good option. The upside of
CMake is you can use CLion (it uses Make underneath for now but will
soon allow Ninja).

Given D is not well resourced, working with toolchains that are well
resourced is a good move. Hence I think putting effort into IntelliJ-
DLanguage a good idea. Currently it uses Dub, maybe it should support
Reggae.

CLion make C++ programming less painful than it might otherwise be,
Gogland does something similar for Go, likewise IDEA with the Rust
plugin for Rust (uses Cargo). IDEA with IntelliJ-DLanguage has to be a
good move.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk