Replacing Make for the DMD build

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 14:49:29 PDT 2017

On 6/17/2017 1:25 PM, Joakim wrote:
> A lot of this is simply saying Make is popular so we should just stick with it:
> I hate that mindset.  It is the same mindset D has to combat with C or C++, and
> that was exhibited when you spoke against the SDL format for dub.

It's not quite the same. I spend 99.99% of my time programming working with
code, not makefiles. Productivity gains from using a better language have a
major effect. A better make simply does not.

> D should pick its battles,

That's a good summary of the situation.

> All that said, I'll reiterate what I said earlier to Russel, and what I'd say to
> Atila too: don't aim to replace Make, just aim to provide an alternative in the
> dmd/phobos repos.  If we find that everybody is using that instead of Make,
> we'll just switch over to it naturally someday.

Maintaining two parallel build systems is having the downsides of both and the
benefits of neither. Then there's the endless vim-vs-emacs debate about which
alternative build system is better. It's not a battle we need to or can afford
to invest in.

Let's please stay focused on things that will move the needle.