Replacing Make for the DMD build

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 14:57:00 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 21:49:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's not quite the same. I spend 99.99% of my time programming
> working with code, not makefiles.

I'd say somewhere around 10% of the time I've spent on D pull
requests has been wasted because of the makefiles. It is a
barrier to entry in new contributors adding new modules.

Though, I think it is just because the ones in there are
overcomplicated and crappy. My ideal makefile is less than ten
lines long and I see no reason why dmd, phobos, druntime, and the
  dlang.org website can't get close to that. Heck, `dmd **/*.d`
almost actually works...