D Language Front-End Proposed For GCC 8, 800k Lines of Code

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 16:00:49 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 21:48:31 UTC, Mark wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 May 2017 at 19:23:04 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
>> Does this, perchance, deserve a post in "Announce"? :)
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=D-Frontend-For-GCC
>
> 800k lines of code! Wow. Is this also how big the DMD frontend
> is?

No, Dscanner says the current ddmd frontend is about 84 klocs of
D code, and I found last year that about 63 klocs of that was
used by ldc, so that's what's really needed:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ovkhtsdzlfzqrqneolyv@forum.dlang.org

I don't think this patch would be using the ddmd frontend though,
as gdc was still using the older C++ frontend last I heard, but
without having looked at the patch at all, the big difference is
probably that they're counting druntime and phobos also, and
misrepresenting that as part of the frontend.