Isn't it about time for D3?

Liam McGillivray via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 17 17:49:56 PDT 2017

Removing all C++ compatibility is a death sentence for D.  This
may not be apparent to some people that already program in D, but
it is downright critical to potential D users.  Zero C++
compatibility means that D can no longer interface with C++
libraries such as Qt, putting a severe limitation on it's uses.

At the very least, dropping C++ compatibility is not for D3.  If
ever, it should happen when D is already as popular as C++.  I
brought up this whole D3 idea because I feel like D just needs
one more wave of breaking changes to the language and library to
be brought to perfection.  There are many C++ programmers out
there who looked into/tried D and felt like it was almost good
enough.  I think it will just take one major breaking version to
make them jump, but not if it's totally incompatible with C++.

D3 should make the changes that can be agreed between proud D
users and C++ users who have hopes for D.

On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 06:23:08 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 04:32:41 UTC, Liam McGillivray
> wrote:
>>> --------------
>>> * C++ interoperabiliy
>>> Walter's right:  memory safety is going to kill C and C++
>>> will go with it.  Don't waste time on this; it's not going to
>>> matter in 10 or 20 years.
> Totally agree! C++ now in 90% of cases is legacy projects. At
> current time is more important to out of the box
> interoperability with Rust or Julia. Time show that C++ do not
> want to migrate to D. Only few people come from C++ world,
> because all of them waiting of new C++ standard c++x2035 (or
> whatever)
Please don't quote me just to say "Totally agree!" to someone
that I quoted and disagree with.

A prediction that C++ is going to be dead in 10 years is not good
enough.  C++ is very active, not just legacy like you say.  As I
said, D should not drop compatibility until it's ALREADY clear
that it's getting surpassed by D.
I support interoperability with Rust if it's doable.  I barely
know about Julia.

Like I said, there are actually many C++ programmers out there
who feel like D2 has promise, but not quite there.  THIS is why I
brought up this D3 idea.  I really do think that D3 could bring
quite some excitement to the programming community if it's coming
along well.  After a few of the more open-minded C++ programmers
adopt D, it will trickle up to more and more.