D needs to get its shit together!

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 08:47:34 PDT 2017

On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 03:53:18 UTC, Mike B Johnson wrote:
> Just try getting D installed on all 3 major systems for DMD,
> LDC, GDC, with an IDE, some utilities, possibly arm
> support(even though it's new and expected to have some issues),
> etc. The issues really start popping up when you are trying to
> use x86 + x64. Library issues that result in strange error
> messages instead of "This compiler is not compatible with the
> phobos v2.4324".

Might be worth considering something like the Android SDK
installer. It looked like this:

http://cache.filehippo.com/img/ex/4515__android_sdk_1_8_5_15.png

Essentially it was a cross-platform package manager GUI, which
allowed installing platform support for various platform versions
side-by-side, as well as additional utilities and dependencies.
It also exposed its functionality via command-line tools and IDE
integrations. This translates fairly well to the D ecosystem, and
could serve as a decent work-around for Windows' lack of native
package management.

We have some of the pieces as separate tools (Digger, DVM, the
dlang.org/install.sh script, the Windows' installer's Visual
Studio detection/integration), could be nice tying them together
into a palatable GUI. Digger has a rudimentary one, which
probably could be wrapped into a native-like app using Electron,
but still lacking features such as managing GDC/LDC.