Advertise D's great compatibilty with JavaScript

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 11:06:50 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 16:31:28 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 10:38:49 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> Something I really appreciate a lot with D is how close it is
>> to JavaScript.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I don't think that's a good selling point. The obvious reply is
> "but why should I use an unknown language like D if I could
> just use node.js and share the client and server code?".

Speed, you're limited by the browser but not on the server.  I'm
running this regex benchmark right now and the D version beats
the top C and Rust ones from this list on linux/x64 with a single
core:

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/regexredux.html

I need to parallelize the D version and compare with multi-core
also.  Of course, once webasm takes off, everyone will simply
compile their server code to webasm and ditch javascript
altogether:

https://blog.figma.com/webassembly-cut-figmas-load-time-by-3x-76f3f2395164

But then, we can sell those javascript programmers on moving to
D. ;)